Spicy Turmeric Fried Rice
prep time: 10 MINUTES cook time: 25 MINUTES total time: 35 MINUTES
Spicy Turmeric Rice – a tasty side dish that goes well with everything from grilled fish to BBQ pork chops; terrific with added back beans in burritos too.
- 2 1/4 cups water, chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- 1/2 tsp salt, do not add salt if the stock is already salted
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 tbsp peanut oil or olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red pepper, diced small
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika, or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Bring the water (& salt) or stock to a boil and stir in the rice. Cover and simmer on minimum heat for 15 – 18 minutes or until the liquid is all but disappeared.
- Remove from heat but do not take off the cover. Let stand, covered for 5 minutes before cuffing the rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile in a wok or large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and red pepper and sauté until the onions soften but do not brown.
- Add the pepper, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and chili powder and saute with the onions and peppers for a minute before adding the cooked rice to the pan.
- Stir fry on high for just a few minutes until the rice is thoroughly heated and coated with the spices. Serve immediately.
- Garnish with chopped chives or green onion if you like.