Best Blueberry Grunt
Blueberry Grunt is a very old recipe and can be found in many of the older cookbooks. It is basically berries baked with a sweet dumpling topping, but still a DELICIOUS dessert. It’s name is derived from the sound made by the bubbling fruit as it cooks. Associated with other names like Betty, slump, buckle, Sonker, boot, or cobbler, grunt is a steamed desert.
PREP TIME: 5 mins
TOTAL TIME: 25 mins
- 4 cups blueberries ( frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- In a saucepan, combine the berries, sugar, water and lemon juice.
- Heat to boiling and reduce to a simmer.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter.
- Add the milk, all at once and mix only until moistened.
- Drop by spoonfuls into the simmering berries.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- DO NOT LIFT THE LID.
- Serve warm with Whipped Cream, Cream or Ice Cream.